Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Hello Challenge/craze


Hellooo..
It's me..
I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet,
To go over,
Everything,
They say time's supposed to heal ya, but I aint done much healing...

Nice lyrics right?? Thats the current fastest selling song right now. Hello by Adele, probably trying to reach out to her ex, whose heart she broke.

The internet has been busy with the hello challenge, where people played pranks on their exes with the lyrics of Adele, some turned out to be hilarious convo, and others ended in tears.

I also played the pranks on my uncle, thinking he didnt have my number anymore...this was the convo:

Me: Hello
Uncle: my dear niece
Me: it's me
Uncle: have you transformed into someone else??
(I just boned and continued)
Me: I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet
Uncle: This isnt my niece!!! Has your phone been hijacked??
(naso I stop the play ooo)
Clearly mine didnt work.

When Adele came into the limelight with this song about having her heart broken..."never mind i'll find someone like you" she won 6 six grammies for that album...massive right?? she is a genuis...and I could totally relate to her songs. They touched a chord in my heart......*wipes eyes*

Fast forward to 3years later, she releases just one single.."Hello"...and its already another hit.

Now every Tom, Ada and Okon in Nigeria is going about releasing covers. Omawunmi's version was beautiful though, as for the pidgin version of Hello, I cant wait to lay my hand on that guy and slap hello out of his life...namsense!!

 Its not a bad thing to sing a cover, no not at all. In fact, i have even released my own cover which will be forever stored in my phone...looool, but how many of our songs would foreign artists be ready or eager to release covers for???

It takes the average nigerian artist 5minutes to write a complete meaningless hit song.
"Oh ma le le le ele lelelele
Give it to me fine girl!!

Then you hear another one...
Oya limpopo
Baby baby o limpopo!!

What the fudge????!!
Our songs are lacking in depth, they dont carry meaning or feelings, just empty noise, thats why our songs do not last...nor stand the test of time. Give it 3-4months, you start hearing, ohhh!! It's old na.

If I play psquare's first songs now, how many of you would enjoy it??
Psquare o!! Sisi o!!
We run things..
Things dont run we
Move up in the club!!

Wooow!! Mehn!! We have to step up our game if we want to rub shoulders with the Adeles, Rkelly, Justin Timberlakes and even Celinedions of this world.
Step up your game. Let your music represent you, let your lyrics paint a vivid picture in my heart, let it carry meaning. Let our lyrics be filled with actual english words, not some coined up crap. Lets for once make sense!!!!!!

JustVikkytorya

No comments: